Thursday, September 22, 2011

And Then I'm In Europe...

Waited in the Fargo airport for an extra 20 minutes then hopped on a tiny plane to Chicago. Once we got to Chicago we found our terminal and watched the last minutes of football I will be seeing in 5 weeks...worth it. Hopped on the plane that went from Chicago to Brussels and ended up sitting next to a guy that was a rocket scientist from the Netherlands, he was totally legit though. Started talking to me about how he's a pro when it comes to drinking because the legal age where he grew up was 16. Watched the clouds some and they had a few movies on the mini TV's that were attached to the seat ahead of us, watched The Beaver with Mel Gibson, not that good and I watched Big Bang Theory because they were showing random TV shows. I finally got comfy enough to take an hour nap before they turned on the lights to feed us a cheesy breakfast, an hour later we landed in Brussels Belgium. After waiting a while for our bags we met up with Dr. Newell Wright, our instructor. We hopped on the coach bus, 14 people 72 seats...yeah we're pretty important. Drove to Antwerp, where we are stationed, and went to the exchange station, changed $200 for 142 euro I felt cheated but that's life. Drove to our residence, it's a pretty nice place to be honest Mike Smith and I are rooming together, 2 beds a couch a TV a patio and a bathroom. Jen Caitlin Mike and I after unpacking went for a little walk and ended up in a tiny bar and found out water was 1.75 while a bottle of beer was only 1.50 so I had my first legal beer while we were over here, still not a fan. We then had to walk a few blocks to the University of Antwerp for lunch and to get our in country phones and a quick orientation. We then walked around Antwerp with Dr. Wright and he bought everyone here a sweatshirt, baller, and then we ate at a restaurant I had pizza it was so so. Then we walked back to the residence and hung out in the only room that gets good WiFi, Jen, Amanda and Caitlin's room until 9 when I came back to my room and was going to watch a movie on my laptop but woke up 30 minutes later realizing I fell asleep and decided bed sounded better than a movie.

Day 2.
Woke up and such, walked to the University and ate breakfast and had another orientation about Europe and was let free around 4 Jen Sara and I went downtown Antwerp and bought some food including fries that had ketchup mayo and onions on them, DELICIOUS! except the ketchup is different here and not in a good way. Then we went to a few tourist vendors and bought some souvenirs and then our legs were exhausted so we went back to the WiFi room and we all hopped onto Facebook and Twitter to upload all our photos, sorry if people are already getting sick of them. Around 830 we got ready and did what any college student does here, we went to the bar. The bartender was super cool and helped us order and I believe 11 of the 14 came I had a dark, very dark beer and a long island ice tea, this lightweight was feeling it. We ventured from sitting as a group by ourselves to chatting with the locals in a large opening and I met a girl from Poland and a girl from Italy and finally a few guys from the United States! Then it was bedtime. So I walked home and went to bed.

Day 3.
Woke up and went to class, class consisted of us walking around the town and eating free chocolate, followed by a tour around Antwerp with a guide so we found out the history of a ton of buildings in town and even visited a castle. We ended the tour in the middle of the town, a part we hadn't yet been to so Caitlin Mike and I went off on our own and found a cupcake store that had this amazing cupcake in some delicious vanilla type frosting topped with a raspberry, worth the 4 euro. We then walked our way around and found a chicken shop and got a chicken sandwich topped with hashbrowns, kill me now it was so good, then headed back to the residence. Day 3 ended up with most of us in the WiFi room, seriously like 10 of us in one room on some shady wireless internet all trying to upload pics to facebook, the connection was basically dead. Around 10 I came back to my room and started watching Hall Pass before falling asleep.

Day Favre.
Today we woke up and actually had a class, 3 hours worth, everyone's still recovering from jetlag so we all kinda dozed off throughout the class. We then got on a coach bus and went to the port of Antwerp and walked around a loading and unloading place, a coffee bean and coco bean warehouse, a banana unpacking dock and a chemical plant. They were pretty cool, once the tour was over Caitlin and I booked it back to the residence in hopes of finding Grey's Anatomy premiere only to be disappointed. Looks like I'll just have to watch it on the DVR when I get home (DON'T DELETE IT CREW HOUSE!) Caitlin Jen Mike and I went to McDonalds and I got a 1955 because I've never heard of it, it was a hamburger with bbq on it, gross. Mike and I also stopped at a waffleshop and had legit Belgian Waffles, mine was dipped in chocolate. Holy crap it was good! We returned to the residence and I finished watching Hall Pass, it was ok. A group of 12 of us went out to a pool hall and us 5 guys ordered a shot each, totaled 40 euro, oops. Went 3-2 in pool tonight so I'm pretty proud of myself. I came home early though because I felt no need to spend more money and I wanted to upload the newest pictures and get this ENORMOUS blog written.

I promise the rest of the entries wont be this long so please continue to read I'll try to update every day so I don't end up with these huge entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment